Getting Maven + Eclipse (GPE) to work together

In the past, I’ve always had a lot of trouble getting my Maven-powered GWT projects to play nice in Eclipse. Recently, in my efforts to standardize my project build / development cycle, I worked out all the kinks with the exception of getting the Google Eclipse Plugin (GPE) to point to the GWT SDK in my Maven repository (based on the settings in the pom.xml).

My work around was to manually install the SDK into Eclipse via the update site & then point Eclipse to that. Maven would build the project right when it came time to deploy, and the tooling would use the same version of the SDK but from the local install, which was good enough to keep developing with. Eventually, though, I hit a major snag…

Tonight I ran into an issue with conflicting javax.validation.XXX files. As I ran through my usual rituals to relieve myself of Maven dependency hell, I ended up reading a post talking about various Maven + GPE gotchas. What I didn’t realize was that there was an “m2extras” plugin that integrates with WTP… so I removed the hard-coded tie in the Eclipse GWT menu & tried to download the tooling from the update site only to find out STS shipped with a newer version! Even stranger, after going back into the GWT section of Eclipse, my project had reconfigured itself to point to the right GWT SDK (in my .m2/repository folder)!!

Weird! I’ll dig into it some more when I get some time and see if I can diagnose the issue, not to mention fix my setup process to have it correct from the start. The wife’s sick tonight and I don’t have much steam left, so for now it’ll have to wait…